Charities are nominated by our members and chosen at random to present.
What kinds of charitable organizations can be nominated?
To be considered for an award, a charitable organization must meet the following criteria:
- Organization must be a local non-profit recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c) organization. The designation must be in the specific charity’s name.
- Organization must be located in and serve The Triangle area (specifically Wake, Nash, Franklin, Johnston, Durham, Orange, Chatham and Person Counties.)
- If an Organization services a larger area, a guarantee must be made that 75% of their programming funds are spent in the Triangle
- Organization must have an Annual Revenue of at least $100,000.
- Organization must have had its 501 designation established for more than 1 year.
- Organization must be willing to send a representative to our meeting with a 5 minute presentation aimed at sharing how the donation would be spent if they should be the awarded recipient.
- Organization must agree not to create, sell, or distribute a list with our members’ contact information, and agree not to solicit our members directly for further contributions.
- Organization does not discriminate or permit discrimination by any member of its community against any individual based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, sex, marital status, age or any other classification protected by law.
- After a minimum of one year, an organization who presented, but not selected at a meeting will remain in the draw for subsequent meetings.
- A successful organization who receives funds is not eligible for 3 years for future consideration.
- Voting will take place by secret ballot and simple majority wins.
- Ties will be decided by further votes. If a tie persists, the membership will randomly select one of the tied organizations by draw.
- The recipient of funds from the prior meeting will submit the Grantee Report Form a week prior to the next meeting and give a five-minute update on how the funds donated at the previous meeting were used within the Triangle community.
How do I know if my charity satisfies the criteria to be nominated?
- If you see your nonprofit’s name on our list of charities, CONGRATULATIONS! This means you have already been nominated to be included in our random selection drawings for future donations.
- We maintain and are constantly updating a list of local charities that satisfy our criteria. Once a charity is nominated by a member and we have validated that all requirements are met, the organization is added to our website in the CHARITIES section.
- If you do NOT see your nonprofit’s name included on our site, then be sure to tell all of your supporters about 100 Men Who Give a Damn! Remember, only members can nominate charities. Throughout the calendar year, each member has the opportunity to nominate up to 3 NEW charities that have not yet been nominated by any other members. If you are a member and have not yet nominated, please click the NOMINATE NOW button on our CHARITIES page to provide us the information for review. Once we confirm that the organization satisfies the criteria listed above, we will put add it to our site, which then includes this nonprofit to be in the random selection for future donations.